sabato 1 dicembre 2018

MAGISTRALE 1 - material for 4th December


Please print off the passage below.


But to  be in Seville without a guitar  is like being on ice without skates. So  every morning,  while Kati went dancing with  h Maestro  Realito, I took  lessons on the instrument in my room.
  My instructor, one of Seville’s most respected professors of the guitar, was a small  sad man,  exquisitely polite and patient, poorly but neatly dressed, and addicted to  bow ties made of wallpaper. Each  day  at  the stroke of ten, he knocked softly at my door and entered on tiptoe, as though into a sick room,  carrying his guitar case like a doctor’s bag.
“ How are we today?” he would ask  sympathetically, “ and how do  we proceed?”
Silently,  he would place two  chairs opposite each other, put me in the one facing the light, sit himself in the other, then ponder me long and sadly while I played. Infinite compassion, as from one who  has seen  much  suffering , possessed his face while he listened. An expression of one who, forced to  inhabit a solitary peak of perfection,  has nowhere to look but downwards at the waste of a fumbling world.
After an hour’s examination, during which  he tested all  my faulty coordinations, he would hand me a page of exercises and bid me take them  twice a day. Then,  with  a little bow, his chin  resting mournfully upon  his paper tie, he would leave me to  visit his next patient.
Sometimes - but very occasionally - he would relax at the end of the lesson,  empty his pockets of tobacco  dust, roll  himself a cigarette, smile, take up  his guitar and play it to  me for an  hour. Then his eyes would turn inward and disappear into  the echoing chambers of his mind, while his long white fingers moved over the strings with  the soft delicacy of the blind, lost in a dream of melody and invention. And faced with  the beauty of his technique ,  the complex harmonies ,  the ease and grace , the supreme mastery of tone and feeling, I would feel like one of the lesser apes who, shuffling on  his knuckles through  the sombre marshes ,  suddenly catches sight of homo sapiens, upright on  a hill, his gold head raised to the sky.
                                                                                                                 Laurie Lee, Cider with Rosie







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento